I hab a cood. Boo.
It is just a little cold but my sinuses are stuffed up. My favorite stuffy nose remedy is a spicy soup. Not a burn my mouth and beg for water kind of spice – I like one that starts out mild and builds while I eat so that before I know it my head starts to tingle and my nose starts to run. Not pretty, but it is a highly effective treatment for a head cold.
Today I got out the big guns and whipped up a super simple chicken soup then finished it off with a dose of Sriracha. A few bites in I could feel the spices working their magic and my head began to clear. I ate most of the soup with the spoon in one hand and a tissue in the other.
Ah, clear sinuses, not something to be taken for granted.
Cold Remedy Soup – Thai Inspired
This is barely a recipe – adjust the ingredients to suit your taste preferences or the contents of your pantry.
- 3 cups of chicken broth, homemade is great but canned works fine
- 1 cup diced chicken
- 1 – 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp green curry paste
- 1/2 tsp sriracha (hot) sauce – start with 1/4 tsp and add more as desired
- Optional – 1/2 cup of rice noodles
- Warm broth, veggies, and chicken in a small pot or large sauce pan
- As the soup warms begin adding the seasoning ingredients, tasting and adjusting the seasoning as it cooks.
- Serve hot with a box of tissues on the side.
Makes approximately two bowls of soup in about 10-15 minutes